- Irish literature and culture from 1880 to the present
- Behind the Scenes: Yeats, Horniman, and the Struggle for the Abbey Theatre. The New Historicism: Studies in Cultural Poetics, ed. Stephen Greenblatt, no. 11. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1990.
- George Moore: 1852-1933. London and New Haven: Yale University Press, 2000.
- Editor. ‘Irish Theatre.’ Special issue of The Irish Review (Autumn 2002). Includes introductory essay, ‘Irish Theatre Scholarship,’ 1-9.
- Playboys of the Western World: Production Histories, edited collection. Carysfort Press: Dublin, 2004.
- “The Irish Renaissance, 1890-1940: Drama in English,” Chapter 20, Cambridge History of Irish Literature (Cambridge UP: Cambridge, 2006), 181-225.
- Hollywood Irish: John Ford and Abbey Actors in the Movies. Lillilput Press (Dublin) and Syracuse University Press (NY), 2010.
- Beth Phillips (Clifford Odets)
- Conor Montague (the Big House and the Irish Revival)