- Contemporary Irish Theatre
- Women in twentieth-century and contemporary Irish theatre
- Gender and performance
- Editor. Seen and Heard: Six New Plays by Irish Women. Dublin: Carysfort Press, 2001.
- ‘The Return of Persephone: Lost and Found.’ In Amid Our Troubles: Irish Versions of Greek Tragedy, ed. Declan Kiberd, Marianne McDonald and Michael J. Walton. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- ‘Hard Wired/Tender Bodies: Power, Loneliness, the Machine and the Person in the Work of “desperate optimists.”’ Performing Ireland: Special Issue of Australasian Journal of Drama Studies 43 (October 2003): 76-88.
- Editor (with Anna McMullan). The Theatre of Marina Carr: ‘before rules was made’. Dublin: Carysfort Press in association with the Arts Council, 2003.
- ‘Exiled at Home: Teresa Deevy and Marina Carr.’ In Cambridge Companion to Twentieth Century Irish Drama, ed. Shaun Richards. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- 'Marina Carr: Violence and Destruction: Language, Space and Landscape' in A Companion to Modern British and Irish Drama, 1880-2005 ed. by Mary Luckhurst. Oxford: Blackwell, 2006.
- 'The Space Outside: Images of Women in Plays by Eva Gore-Booth and Dorothy Macardle' in Women in Irish Drama ed. by Melissa Sihra. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- 'Under the Influence: Jacques Lecoq, the Body and the Irish' in Etudes Irlandaises, 33.2 (Autumn 2008)
- 'Patrick Mason: A Director's Festival Golden Fish' in Interactions: Dublin Theatre Festival, 1957-2007 ed. by Nicholas Grene and Patrick Lonergan (Irish Theatrical Diaspora Series, 3) Dublin: Carysfort Press, 2008.
- 'Irish Women Playwrights 1900-1939: Gender and Violence on Stage'. Due from Peter Lang, 2010.
Research StudentsIan Walsh, 'Irish Theatre Laboratory: Experimental Irish Theatre, 1939-1953'
Marie Kelly, 'Theatre at the Gateway of Consciousness: Actor, Text and Theatre Space - Sites of Transformation in the Plays of Tom Mac Intyre'
Kevin Wallace, 'Tartarus: Representations of the Body and Subjectivity in the Theatres of Marina Carr and Sarah Kane'
Katarzyna Lech, 'Verse Structure in Theatre: Text and Performance in Irish and Polish Theatre'
Rayla Tadjimatova, 'The Politics of Metatheatricality'
Miriam Haughton, 'The Embodiment of Power Structures in Postmodern Irish Drama 2000-2010: Issues of Gender, Capitalism and Spiritulaity in Celtic Tiger Culture'
Catherine Casey, 'Space and Gender in the Theatre of David Mamet'